Saturday, February 27, 2010

Coach Less

A couple of days ago I was watching a coach run through starts with some of his combine athletes.  After each rep of about 15 yards, he went down a laundry list of technical aspects and things to work on and do different than that rep.

I did a good job and didn't let my jaw drop at how inappropriate I felt it was.  It's entirely true that I don't know any background on their training or the athlete's learning style, but REALLY?  2-3 days out from his 40 yd dash and you are coaching him like this?

Reinforce basics.  Keep them focused on their PROCESS goals.  Not outcomes like high pick, money and so forth, but ARMS, DRIVE, TALL, etc...  those better have meaning by now.


I want my guys focusing on the feelings and their own specific cue words.  I want consistency and confidence.  Dont try to change anything now.  Be very careful in how you point out the small things.  If you know there is one that they know how to fix, reinforce.  If its something they haven't gotten now, let it.

I think as coaches we feel like we have to fulfill our role.  We need to coach, need to say something, need to give feedback.  If you have done your job up to now, coaching less is more.


No comments: