Friday, February 6, 2009

Coaching Eye Tools

What will you do to develop your coaching eye in the next month? If you are a coach with decades of experience its probably just a matter of consciously going out and actively watching athletes. If you are still developing your eye, then I think it needs to be a more planned effort.

Without question in my mind, the #1 thing you need to do is coach side by side with a mentor. If you can find a skilled coach, to coach with, DO IT! Time spent watching reps and comparing what you saw, to what a more experienced coach may see will accelerate your learning more than anything else. Being able to ask questions while right there in the action lets you find out not just WHAT that coach sees, but WHY its happening, and WHY they gave WHICH cues.

If you can't do that on an extended basis, do it when you can. I was not in a position early on to have a daily mentor to work with, so instead I found opportunities. These were chances to observe better coaches than me during training sessions. At times, I was able to take my athletes to workout in other coach's sessions. I could get their eye on my athlete, and get their input.

In my experiences, its a regular occurence to ask a fellow coach to watch a rep or run. "Can you take a look at this next one", "What do you see happening with his recovery?" etc.... Its not a lack of skill that makes us ask, its enough intelligence to get other qualified points of view.

Don't leave it to luck and chance to develop your coaching eye around a better coach. Make it happen. During the next month, where is an opportunity to develop your coaching eye with the helpof another coach?

No comments: