Friday, December 12, 2008

Art of Coaching

I had been told for years that I should do blogs, dvds, books etc... But being a guru just isn't my thing. I have spent the last 15 years focused on 1) being a great coach, and 2) improving my system and philosophy. However in recent years I have become very passionate about another area. The mentoring of coaches.

Personally, I enjoy it. As a business owner, it's critical for success. It's also an exciting professional and intellectual challenge. How can I help coaches learn their craft? While the is no substitute for experience, I want to explore ways I can deliver that experience more effectively and efficiently.

Yes, the science is very important and the proper training techniques key for long term and lasting results, BUT, one of the things I've also come to learn through the years is that the delivery of that science, THE ART OF COACHING, is just as important or more so.

If you can't get the athlete to listen or buy in, they aren't going to follow your system, so the system is mute. The Art is knowing when to use which techniques and the optimum way to deliver it for that athlete or group.

Coaches need to be developed like artists. I now believe that a coach should start by building a base of scientific knowledge in school, but then they need the experience with a mentor. Its an apprenticeship. You gradually expand your ability to craft on your own, and that process itself can be the teacher.

No comments: